A California Real Estate Industry Pioneer and Expert Witness
Offering focused strategies that yield results
The Law Offices of Steven Gourley is recognized throughout the legal community for experience, participation in local organizations, development of real estate law and commitment to our clients. Understanding the complex and ever-evolving real estate market, Attorney Steven Gourley keeps abreast of trends and changes in the law to best protect the interests of his personal and business clients. In addition to representation in transactions and lending agreements, we serve as an expert witness for clients, including attorneys who are facing litigation in complex real estate disputes.
More than 30 years of real estate legal experience
Attorney Gourley has worked extensively in the real estate industry and on behalf of a diverse clientele. He helped write one of the regulations that guides industry standards today. In many cases, lawyers have recruited him simply to keep opponents from benefitting from his counsel.
From 1973 to 1999, Mr. Gourley worked to become an expert in corporate securities and consumer finance lending. He was an attorney with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission as Chief Deputy Commissioner of Corporations for the State of California. In addition to his private practice, he worked as a city councilman and mayor of Culver City from 1988 to 1996, where he reorganized the budget process, conserved funds and built reserves to nearly 50 percent of the annual budget. Today he is a frequent speaker on mortgage lending, compliance, fiduciary duty, the California Finance Lender’s law and other complex issues faced by lenders and brokers.
Contact a skilled Los Angeles expert real estate witness and attorney
To learn more about the real estate and expert witness testimony services offered by the Law Offices of Steven Gourley, call 424.286.9246 or contact us online. We proudly serve businesses and organizations across California.
- California, 1973
- J.D., Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California, 1973
- B.A., Political Science, Spanish, UCLA, 1970
Bar associations and memberships
- Los Angeles County (Member, Executive Committee, Business and Corporations Section)
- State Bar of California (Member, Consumer Financial Services Committee)
- United States Securities and Exchange Commission
- California Department of Corporations; California Department of Real Estate.
- SIPC v. Vigman, 74 F.3d 932 (9th Cir. 1996)
- SIPC v. Vigman, 587 F. Supp. 1358 (C.D. Cal. 1984)
- Mercy Hospital v. Department of Health Services 115 Cal. App.3d 270 (1981)
- Mercy Hospital v. Harris 625 F.2d 905 (9th Cir. 1980)
- Monterey Life Systems, Inc. v. U.S. 635 F.2d 821 (Ct. Cl. 1980)
- Memonal, Inc. v. Harris 655 F.2d. 905 (9th Cir. 1980).
- Trial attorney, United States Securities and Exchange Commission, 1973–1977
- Chief Deputy Commissioner of Corporations, State of California, 1980–1983
- City councilman, 1988–1996 and mayor, 1990–1991 and 1995–1996, Culver City
- Member, 1988–1996 and chairman, 1991–1992, Culver City Redevelopment Agency
- Member, Los Angeles County Commission on Judicial Procedures. Director, California Department of Motor Vehicles, 2000–present